A weather station is a facility, either on land or sea, with instruments and equipment for observing atmospheric conditions to provide information for weather forecasts and to study the weather and climate. The measurements taken include temperature, barometric pressure, humidity, wind speed, wind direction, and precipitation amounts.
Typical weather stations have the following instruments:
- Thermometer for measuring air and surface temperature
- Barometer for measuring atmospheric pressure
- Hygrometer for measuring humidity
- Anemometer for measuring wind speed
- Wind vane for measuring wind direction
- Rain gauge
The main parameter for an AWS is:
- Air temperature
- Relative Humidity
- Atmospheric pressure
- Wind speed
- Wind Direction
- Dew Point
CSCs Proposed Model
CSC proposes to IMD and AIC for the installation of AWS at CSCs on selected or all the locations. For that, a AWS calibration work is going on. After calibration, the AWS will be installed at CSC centres and the data will be used for agro advisory and crop insurance purposes.
CSC proposes to IMD and AIC for the installation of AWS at CSCs on selected or all the locations. For that, a AWS calibration work is going on. After calibration, the AWS will be installed at CSC centres and the data will be used for agro advisory and crop insurance purposes. CSC SPV has also proposed AIC for enrolling farmers for crop insurance and do the facilitator services for crop insurance.
Agro Advisory Solution
Media Lab Asia has developed an agro advisory solution for ICAR under World Bank Project. This solution can run on Web / Mobile App / IVRS. It gives multimedia / multimodal advisory to the registered farmers 24X7.
Basic Architecture of IIDS Model
Interactive Information Dissemination and Aggregation System (IIDAS) have two major components:
1. Personalised Agro Advisory System – Mobile and web interface for interaction between farmer and experts through multimedia IVRS solutions including text, voice, picture and video. Farmers can seek advices during pre cultivation, cultivation and post cultivation period.
2. Information Services – Mobile interface to receive location specific information e.g Input dealers; Local Weather Information; Market Price; Finance / Insurance providers; Government Schemes; Latest News etc.
The Interactive Information Dissemination and Aggregation System (IIDS) aims to provide right information at right time to right people (farmers) by combining push / pull technology of dissemination information using various ICT gadgets on source and users end.
IIDAS is a three tier structure with its vertical and horizontal integration.
|Tier||Main Component||Sub Component||Role and Uses|
|Tier 1||SAU||Server, Database, TNT, Quality Control, Virtual Experts, Service Providers, IVRS||1 Way Communication. Acts as a backend and source of content. Every SAU in a state will in house one server and database|
|Tier 2||KVK||QPL, Level 1 Experts||2 Way Communications. Acts as a frontend service provider of agro advisory system|
|Tier 3||Field (CSC)||Field Coordinators (CSC Operator), Farmers||2 Way Communications. Acts as a human and ICT intervention for the farmers. Can demonstrate, give training on ICT usage.|